Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wilson Mountain Wood Thrush (plus very special guest)




I walked through Wilson Mountain in Dedham this morning, a place that is rather un-birdy but good for a little exercise. I was happy to hear a wood thrush lazily holding court and I was even able to find one (see blurry photo above) while it was singing. (He was moving around a lot, fitting in songs while foraging).

But the most astonishing thing happened when I started recording. Almost immediately someone else jumped in with series of amazing piccolo-like speed runs. A winter wren (#193)! A late migrant, probably, as winter wrens really don't breed in these parts--though we can always hope!

At any rate here's the recording (longer than usual--I got six winter wren runs in total).

And below, a view of the lady slippers (a kind of orchid) that are in bloom all over the park these days.

No comments: