Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Plum Island Pilgrimage Part 1 (of two)


A perfect day for a Plum Island pilgrimage. Cool but sunny. The green flies and beach traffic haven't come yet. I feel like a kid seeing the signs for Disney World-- my heart races as I cruise down the Plum Island Highway towards the Parker River NWR entrance. I'm a little list-oriented today and I know I'll be able to hit some easy ones (here my novice status makes things less potentially frustrating).

So hello, purple martins.


how ya doing, mr. gadwall?


love your singing, black-throated green warbler.


just hanging out, huh, black-bellied plover?


So, adding willet, semi-palmated sandpiper, salt marsh sharptail sparrow (not pictured), I end the day at 188. Twelve to go (and then I'll stop counting for a while).

Surely, says the mockingbird on my car, you didn't come to Plum Island just to check off some boxes on a list?


OK, you've got me. Not unlike Mt. Auburn, Plum Island offers quantity AND quality. Birds (and mammals--last time I saw an otter, this time a weasel popped its head up from under the boardwalk on the Hell Cat trail) that you've only seen through binoculars from a distance suddenly appear at arm's length. Such as the northern parula (you may remember my great FAIL photo from Florida).

This guy nearly landed on my hand. It was so close my camera was having trouble focusing with the zoom on. So after some mostly-hidden-by-honeysuckle shots, I was able to get some photos that I hope express both the beauty and the attitude of this charming creature.





Part 2 tomorrow: Piping Plover against the world

3 comments:

M.Maria M. Coutinho said...

I love pictures. Congratulations on your blog!
Marilia Montiel
Brasil

M.Maria M. Coutinho said...

the song of birds are divine.
I liked the videos!
cool

Peter Oehlkers said...

I'm always happy to know when someone finds value in this blog. Thanks.