Sunday, May 3, 2009

Birding without birding


I'm still so ambivalent about the whole "birding" thing. I joined, for a time, a large group on a "bird walk" at Arnold Arboretum. I quickly learned a couple of things.
  1. My level. Not beginner.
  2. Even experts can have trouble with titmice/cardinal, pine warbler/chipping sparrow song IDs.
  3. It's fun being with a large group seeing a yellow warbler for the first time.
  4. I'd ultimately rather do this by myself.
  5. Being too goal-oriented (gotta see that ... warbler) can take the joy out of things.

When I got home, I sat on the front steps while Lily examined our front yard for new growth (she was excited to learn the difference between clover and wood sorrel). I heard a familiar buzz, looked up and saw a yellow-rumped warbler. And another. And another. I pulled out the binoculars and, sure enough, a migrating flock had descended upon our neighbor's oak tree. (Here's what it sounds like). [UPDATE: Just noticed: There's a Northern Parula in the mix too] And there was a black and white warbler perusing a branch. And a ruby-crowned kinglet flitting about the top branches. I would later see a northern harrier fly across the yard and into a back-yard tree.


Then while in my study I heard familiar chatter, turned around and spied a chickadee pair. They were checking out our window bird house and systematically removing the sticks that the house wren had stuffed in there last summer. I suspect they may move in, though I hate to think of what will happen when the wren finds out... [UPDATE: Nope.]


And then later I took Lily to Millennium Park in West Roxbury (a stop before we bought annuals at Home Depot). While Lily ran around with a new friend in the playground, I kept an eye out for other things. This savannah sparrow (yes, them again) was popping around nearby and I got my closest shots yet.


Moral? Sometimes you need to just let the birds come to you.

No comments: