Friday, May 1, 2009

Silent Spring, Universal Resorts style



We stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort, part of the Universal hotel community. It was lushly planted (and deep-themed, we later discovered) so I was expecting some good dawn chorus action. Up at 6, I stroll outside, the sun just rising, turn on the recorder and get... [after filtering out the ever-present deep hum of the giant air conditioning units] a couple of ducks, a cricket, and a surprise ending (it's near Islands of Adventure, after all).

As the sun rose and I continued my walk around the grounds, finally I caught a hint of a song. And then another. And then another. Doh. Mockingbird. In fact two of them. Doing the work of all the other birds this morning, it seemed.

The local mottled and mallard and mixed up ducks on the other hand, kept nature close, swimming with us in the pool, little ones in tow.

No comments: