Monday, May 4, 2009

Some birding anyway


So much for birding ambivalence. I had some time before a meeting this morning, so up to Marblehead Neck I go. Even talked with a birder for a little bit (he helped me find a prairie warbler, for which I'm very grateful.) Better views later, and lousy but "diagnostic" photos.
[Here's what a real photographer can get]. The place was practically swarming with yellow-rumps (an advantage you don't get with other warblers--lots of exposure to variations in plumage). Also got my first ever blue-headed vireo.

The binoculars (of course) have made warbler time possible. I feel as if I am on level two of some video game. I made the first pass through this time period last year with a level one camera. Now I have a level two camera and "eyes of seeing." The northern parula (what a stunning bird) is now a familiar friend. And it's fun to actually watch warbling vireos warbling.

So "sigh" back to birding. Too bad the forecast is nothing but rain. (Got to get grading done sometime, I suppose).

No comments: