Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I can't tell you where I was today


I'll tell you why in a second.
More piping plover encounters.

This time I saw two breeding pairs. Wire cages have been placed over their nests.

But, do you see something a little extra in this photo? (You'll probably have to click on it to see it).

Look in the bottom right corner.

How about this one?

Look in the top left corner.

How about this one?

Yes, piping plover chicks. I counted two. Honestly, piping plovers are hard enough to spot on the beach. Tiny walking balls of fluff? Impossible.

But never fear, the parents are on the ball. They are fiercely protective (yes, piping plovers can be fierce.)
See this unwitting sandpiper?

Here comes mom and dad rushing down the beach. Plover attack!

I saw them chase this sandpiper several times, and later a purple grackle (a serious threat).

Why can't I reveal the location? That seems to be the convention when dealing with piping plover chicks. They are so cute, rare, and sensitive to human intrusion that publicity can be dangerous to them.

No comments: