Sunday, May 31, 2009

Needham High School Killdeer


My son phoned. "Dad," he said, "there's a really cool bird at the high school."
(I've now become the bird guy.)
"I'll be right there," I said, abandoning my afternoon IKEA shelf-building project.
Sure enough, at the base of recent maple tree planting, there sat said "cool bird," a mother killdeer.


Some kind Needhamites have set up a little barricade around the nest area. But Mom is still a little stressed out, and lets people know about it. And with three or so more weeks of school, will be super stressed when the eggs hatch. Killdeer chicks are, like piping plover chicks, little walking balls of fluff. I can't imagine they will be left alone.


Meanwhile, here are the lovely eggs.


I like the Smithsonian Field Guide's commentary on the killdeer's nesting habits.
"Has struck an uneasy truce with humans; flourishes at golf courses and construction sites, but constantly annoyed by joggers and dog-walkers."

No comments: