Sunday, May 1, 2011

This is Birdland

Down to Baltimore for my 25-year class reunion, I began to wonder if there had been subliminal influences that predetermined my current interests. I have been a life-long (except for the past 10 years) fan of the Baltimore Orioles (AKA "the birds"). The mascot of my alma mater is the "blue jay,"
and I was awakened at 5 a.m. this morning by Baltimore "Ravens" (AKA noisy fish crows).

Real birding (done in a 2 hour window between alumni events on Saturday) was quite good. I explored the trail that runs along Stony Run in Wyman Park
and was able to conjure up scarlet tanagers, an indigo bunting, lots of yellow-rumped warblers and blue-gray gnatcatchers, a northern parula or two, ovenbirds, rose-breasted grosbeaks, and many more. Here's a sad documentary shot of a tanager.
The foliage is out in Baltimore so most of the birding was by ear.

No comments: