Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Charles River Peninsula and Rocky Narrows

Great Blue Heron, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
CRP Moment 1. Woodcock displaying in the parking lot.
CRP Moment 2. Male orchard oriole circles me at eye-level with his fluttery flight song. Twice. In two different locations. (I don't think he likes me. Am I messing up his love life?)
CRP Moment 3. Female Baltimore oriole tugs and tugs at a piece of string wrapped around a branch. Is it snagged fishing line (best left unused) or is she actually getting ready to hang a nest? (We'll find out tomorrow).
Wild Geranium, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA

House Wren, Rocky Narrows, Sherborn, MA
RN Moment 1: Scarlet Tanager above, Veerys on each side, loud northern waterthrush in distance.
RN Moment 2: Near the canoe launch I hear the most ridiculous Baltimore oriole song ever. (I think he was agitated or something)
RN Moment 3: Walking the "narrows" I realize for the first time it's a hemlock forest, an utterly precious thing.
Starflower, Rocky Narrows, Sherborn, MA



No comments: