Monday, May 10, 2010

Oh Magnolia Warbler


Magnolia Warbler, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA

First time seeing these at the CRP (my local-first policy is working out this spring).



I went down to the CRP this morning to see if I could map the Baltimore orioles, but it is still too early. Territory lines are still being contested (I saw one amazing mid-air tussle that ended up in the grass.)

In other CRP news:
Yellow warblers are nesting (I found a nest). The barn swallow invasion continues. Tree swallows are getting very aggressive vs. perceived invaders--best to make a wide circle around nest boxes. Bobolinks are still on the property, though haven't started any nesting gestures. The starling I saw last week being mobbed by red-bellied woodpeckers now owns the cavity and is making all manner of assertive displays. (Starlings are charming birds as individuals).

And the resident red-tailed hawk is taking to hiding in the shade (any appearance means getting kicked in the head by red-winged blackbirds).

No comments: