Sunday, May 2, 2010

All the rest of the birds are back


Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA

New arrivals this morning: kingbird, rose-breasted grosbeak, house wren,swifts, killdeer, spotted sandpiper, wood thrush (singing), and most importantly...
well, let's see if you can tell me!
Charles River Peninsula ambiance
Yes, it is our old friend the catbird, injecting some chaos into the CRP soundscape.

The first song I heard when I left my house was a black-throated green warbler in a neighbor's tree. I arrived at the CRP expecting warbler swarms. Up there in the upper branches of the tall oaks--small bird after small bird! The binoculars go up and find...Savannah Sparrows? (with some yellow-rumps mixed in).

Also of interest, this red-bellied woodpecker pair, angry for a reason for once. They were scolding a starling who was just sitting there, unbudging, near what must be their nest cavity. I have to admire the starling's persistence given the attacks of the sharp-beaked red-bellies.

Other new arrival: mosquitos.

No comments: