Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hellcat, or the Hummingbird Aviary

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Female, Hellcat Trail, Plum Island, Newburyport, MA
One of the marvelous things about Hellcat during migration season is the way its character changes day to day. I've never seen or heard so many ruby-throated hummingbirds zooming around. Right by my head.  Also in huge numbers: American redstarts. So many tail-fanning redstarts in close range. And weirdly high numbers of Wilson's warblers. I counted seven of them.

Black-throated Blue Warbler Female, Hellcat Trail, Plum Island, Newburyport, MA
And lots of mid-migration females, of all sorts.
Marsh Wren nest, Marsh Trail, Plum Island, Newburyport, MA
Another Plum Island pleasure: marsh wrens. I've never seen a marsh wren nest at Great Meadows, where they are also abundant. But off the Marsh Trail, two nests in plain sight, one actively tended to.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a non driver, these mini expeditions you're making are a fine way to get a sense of this season's activity.

I wonder what has given these neotropicals a reprieve such that their populations are recovering?

Having failed to get to Ipswich River on the 15th, my scheme is to take a train to Ipswich soon, the last train out of North Station and walk out to Topsfield at quarter to one am.

That'll get me there around daybreak, which is when you really want to be there, this time of year.

The rain thwarted me this week.