Thursday, May 30, 2013

2013 Spring Migration Grand Finale

Wilson's Warbler, Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Marblehead, MA
I had a meeting up in Salem so I thought I might drop by Marblehead Neck for a bit after lunch. Warbler migration was dwindling (or so I thought) but I thought I might see a few flycatchers....
Chestnut-Sided Warbler, Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Marblehead, MA
It didn't take long to realize that something special was happening. The canopy was was filled with buzzing cedar waxwings and preaching red-eyed vireos. And everywhere you looked, small colorful birds flitted from branch to branch. It was a warbler fallout of the sort you might literally dream of.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Marblehead, MA
Flycatchers, as expected, were also everywhere. Among all the drab wing-barred birds, it took a moment to recognize the late ruby-crowned kinglet in the photo above.
Chestnut-sided Warbler preening
 I had planned to spend an hour. I ended up spending two. By the time I was ready to go (2:30) many of the cedar waxwings had flown off and the birdsong had become more subdued. It was preening time.
Magnolia Warbler sunbathing
My favorite moment of the day (besides getting a great look at a singing mourning warbler!) was a magnolia warbler suddenly going limp, lying on its side on a branch. I have to assume a sun-bath. It was soon up and searching for cut-worms again.

Many of scenes described above are captured in the video assembled below. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's great, sunbathing.

I had a feeling the Memorial Weekend cold snap might have slowed migration.

Here's a bobolink at Bay Farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXndfy9dtKY