Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June at the Charles River Peninsula


Great Blue Heron on the Charles River

This is one of my favorite times of year at the CRP.

The scent of primrose is all around.


The bobolink (unpictured today) is singing.

Chicks are beginning to appear in the open. (Below is a young red-winged blackbird. Quite a looker, no?)


Baltimore oriole chicks are also making a racket. Two recordings (both with a fabulously talented song sparrow in the background). The first is a marred by noisy young begging starlings. The second, which I find lulling, features what seems to be a back and forth between mom and babies.

And lots of action. Goldfinches harassing the poor bobolink (he just wants to find a girl and a place to settle down). Tree sparrows dive-bombing me (caught the brim of my hat this time). And red-winged blackbirds chasing everything, including cowbirds, me, and this unfortunate red-tailed hawk. (The red-wing was literally riding the hawk for a time).

No comments: