Saturday, October 30, 2010

Disturbing the ducks (and kinglet capture)


Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary, Natick MA

Mallards can be skittish this time of year, but wood ducks never want to see people. I arrived at Broadmoor bright and early and had the privilege of seeing dozens of wood ducks assembled near the boardwalk; I also had the regret of scaring every last one of them away. Among the other ducks I disturbed this morning--a sizeable contingent of American wigeon (top left below).

Golden-crowned kinglets were abundant. I know I should never attempt photographs, especially in low light. But video--today I was going to make a concerted effort. The embedded clip below, in addition to showing wood ducks (and wood ducks in flight) also documents my attempt to capture the kinglet on video. If you make to the end, you'll see it paid off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great picture and video! Exactly how early is 'bright and early'?

Peter Oehlkers said...

Crack of dawn! (which these days is 7-ish).