Sunday, November 7, 2010

Salisbury Beach State Reservation


Scoters, Salisbury Beach State Reservation, Salisbury, MA

I had a taste for snow bunting, so I headed up north to Salisbury Beach, where they are very reliable this time of year. I spotted them immediately in Parking Lot 2, drove in and watched as they flew away. Yes, they are reliable at Salisbury Beach--in the air, flying from spot to spot....


But Salisbury Beach on a chilly November morning, right after sunrise--there are few more beautiful spots. (Please excuse my landscape indulgence below. These will fill your screen if you click on them).






The bird of great abundance today was the scoter--white-winged and black, no surf scoter that I could see. Lots of females and youngsters. And a bufflehead for good measure.

I like the elegance of the jet black scoter in the lower right corner.


Other sightings, in addition to our common loon below--long-tailed ducks, red-breasted mergansers, common eider. The winter seascape has arrived.


I've embedded the video account of my visit below.

The skunk-eating crow footage is probably in bad taste, but Lily thought it was very funny that anything would eat a skunk.

No comments: