Friday, July 3, 2009

A return to bug time!



It is officially bug season, from butterflies to biting flies. I'm not getting good bird shots at the CRP these days (the foliage is too thick and the birds are too skulky) so it's time to aim the camera at any old moving thing. Including carrion beetles, click bugs, or whatever.


That said, there is enough bird life to keep one happy. There was a large group of cedar waxwings this afternoon, as well as a grumpy kingfisher. The red-winged blackbirds are now spending their time in the meadow, flushing at what seems like every step I take. I like the coloration of the young 'uns.


And I can't get enough of the resident grosbeaks. The male provides such a tropical vibe, particularly when flying up into the canopy displaying his wing spots. Today was my first good look at the resident female.

No comments: