Sunday, July 5, 2009

Butterflies and Bobolinks



On the most beautiful summer day in the history of the universe, I took a very slow walk (nursing a cold) through the CRP. (The parking lot was practically full--a day for kayaks and canoes.) Very few birds chose to show themselves in my presence, except for a turkey and another I will speak about in a moment. In July the observer affects the observed.

But butterflies galore. Many silver-spotted skippers gracing the milkweed.


Along with fast-flying combative fritillaries.


And monarchs in the process of making more monarchs.


And lo and behold, the return of the bobolink. He's just not singing anymore. I spotted him with a butterfly in his mouth, which I take as a good sign. He observed me observing me and flew into the trees. I'm interested to know whether there's a bobolink nest at the CRP or whether he has nested at a nearby farm and just forages at the CRP.

No comments: