Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ipswich River Wildlife Santuary


Ipswich River Wildlife Santuary, originally uploaded by oehlkers.

Mass Audubon's Ipswich River sanctuary is largely set up for children but has some nice wild areas as well. I recommend staying out of the woods (too many biting flies this time of year) and heading straight for Hassocky Meadow, where it seemed like every step I took I scared something else into flight--a wood duck, a great blue heron, a flock of wood ducks, another great blue heron, a muskrat, a great horned owl (!). [Add the great crested flycatcher I spotted by the stone bridge, and I saw three "greats" in one trip.] Funniest sight--a kingbird chasing a great blue heron (who seemed to be taking it amiably). For your listening pleasure, the melodious (not!) sounds of the great crested flycatcher. Gaze at its yellow belly below.


No comments: