Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary


Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary, originally uploaded by oehlkers.

A lovely afternoon traipse through the grounds of Broadmoor. Today a northern water thrush made an appearance by the Glacier Hill. Was enjoying watching a phoebe as it caught bugs off the boardwalk. And then it did this:Eastern Phoebe (Broadmoor)
(I'd never seen this scary side of phoebes before!) Rest assured the bird was fine and resumed its bug catching as if nothing had happened. I assume it was just drying its wings out. It was just sunbathing.
The best photo of the day is one I missed. By the marsh trail bridge I spotted a large turtle statue. How appropriate, I thought. You can always rely on Broadmoor for turtle sightings. As I approached to take a picture, the "statue" suddenly slid into the water. A giant snapping turtle.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That's just what my parakeet does when she is taking a bath. Very cute!

So sorry you missed the photo of your "statue." Hee.