Saturday, July 26, 2008

Charles River Peninsula


Charles River Peninsula, originally uploaded by oehlkers.

The Trustees of Reservations have been sprucing up the place, with new signage and freshly mowed trails (removing a bed of poison ivy from the trail that was growing taller by the day). I arrived this evening to the call of a red-tail, voiced strongly and regularly from a boundary tree. I wonder what was up with him. He eventually showed himself, to the dismay of the red-winged blackbirds and blue jays, swooping across the field.

I was close enough to hear his take-off.

There are sparrows all over the place now. I couldn't get close enough to get a good view and it was too dark to get a decent close up, so I don't know who they are. Basic options: song sparrow children, field sparrows, chipping sparrows. Maybe all three. (I got an interesting, if a little pixelated, view of a fat song sparrow head on).



Also, what's going on here? Sometimes I just aim and click and am confused when I get home. It is a catbird grooming itself, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the parts are.



No comments: