Thursday, May 8, 2014

Warbler Day

Ovenbird, Marblehead Neck Sanctuary, Marblehead, MA
I can tell it is going to be a good warbler day when I leave the house and immediately hear a black-throated blue in the neighbor's tree. Up to Salem for a meeting, I take a slight detour to Marblehead Neck. It doesn't take long to get my allotment of warbler action: parula, chestnut-sided, black-throated blue, black-throated green, ovenbird (everywhere, strutting like tiny chickens), Canada (a little early?), northern waterthrush (also everywhere, singing loudly). And who was this guy, suddenly appearing trailside?
Kentucky Warbler, Marblehead Neck
That would appear to be a Kentucky Warbler. The cause of some general excitement.
Kentucky Warbler, Marblehead Neck
Such a gorgeous bird. And a nonchalant bird as well. Hardly noticed all the camera clicks.
Kentucky Warbler, Marblehead Neck
And came so close it practically hopped on my toes.

Below is the video version (you'll see two of the photos above being taken). As I was shooting, it came closer and closer until it came so close I had trouble finding it in the viewfinder.


No comments: