Friday, April 29, 2011

The second day of "May" (even better!)

Black and White Warbler, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
A perfect late April morning with even more new arrivals to the Charles River Peninsula: kingbirds, warbling vireos, a black and white warbler, and...
my first-of-the-year yellow-throated vireo. I heard it as soon as I walked onto the property. I initially refused to believe my ears--it seems kind of early for yellow-throated v's. But, as you can see above, I was able to track it down.

Lots of singing, especially from catbirds and orioles. A few more Baltimore orioles have joined the chorus--I recognize their songs from last year. And the orchard orioles are going non-stop, competing over a female.


Also, a friendly group of warblers, allowing very close approaches, gathered in the grove near the tip of the peninsula. That's where I saw the black and white and a whole bunch of yellow-rumps and palmies.

No comments: