Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Jodrey Pier

Herring Gull, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
I had to go to work (yes, despite spring break),  I thought I might as well have some fun, so I popped up to Jodrey Pier in Gloucester. There had been some interesting recent reports: thick-billed murre, Pacific loon, Iceland gull. (Jump to the chase: 1 of 3, the murre, probably...)
View from Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
Jodrey is best known, notorious even, for its gulls. You are very likely to see something beyond the herring, ring-billed, and great blacked that we are used to.
Glaucous Gull, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
And wouldn't you know, down flew a gorgeous nearly all-white gull onto a nearby dock.
Glaucous Gull, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
A little help from the friendly community of birders staked out for the Pacific loon allowed the ID (I was thinking Iceland, frankly). Black tip on the bill. There is also a little gray texture on the wing, viewable by scope.
Horned Grebe, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
I was also thrilled to get nice close views of some winter-plumaged grebes.
Horned Grebe, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
Particularly red-necked grebes, quite abundant today.
Red-necked Grebe, Jodrey Pier, Gloucester, MA
I wonder if the others ever saw the Pacific loon...

No comments: