Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ridge Hill sounds

Pine warbler, Ridge Hill Reservation, Needham, MA
First, let's start with the pine warblers, whose trills are so loose this time of year. And add in the delightful red-breasted nuthatches who are beeping up and down trees everywhere. And some chipping chippies.


The blue jay gangs are large and vigilant this time of year. I couldn't figure out exactly what they were monitoring but it was getting them riled up. Here is the pre-attack chorus, half-a dozen blue jays in the same tree top (plus an alarmed robin). I really like the musical patterns here.

And a daylight hooting great horned owl, someplace in the woods (I tried to triangulate but I couldn't catch sight of it).

And this evening while Lily and I were leaving the community garden, a howling coyote.

No comments: