Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Maine Coast Day 5: Sunrise at Settlement Quarry

Settlement Quarry, Stonington, Maine
Up early again, I thought I would explore another Island Heritage Trust property, this time on the east coast of Deer Isle--Settlement Quarry.  As I was walking down the trail towards the quarry, I began to hear a clamorous noise--gulls! Lots of them! I rushed down the trail to see what was causing the commotion.
Gulls, Settlement Quarry, Stonington, Maine
On the pier below the quarry there was a fishing boat and a large open container of fish, apparently offered freely to the local gull population.
Gulls, Settlement Quarry, Stonington, Maine
They were taking full advantage.
Osprey, Settlement Quarry, Stonington, Maine
An osprey joined the mob for a while, though I don't think it ever got the nerve to grab a fish.
Gulls, Settlement Quarry, Stonington, Maine
Gulls not competing for their share of fish rested on large blocks of granite nearby. A good place for gull ID practice, I suppose. Which I will leave for others to enjoy.

No comments: