Saturday, February 26, 2011

What you are waiting for (is already here)


Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
It is already spring, so far as the birds are concerned. I brought my Edirol out with me this morning and was glad I had. The morning soundscape now includes blue jays, juncos, mourning doves, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, carolina wrens, and (you can hear for yourself)...red-winged blackbirds, who have started to establish territories.

Other signs of spring: chipmunks! And what is that I hear? Could it be an Eastern Bluebird? (He over-wintered but now he's singing!)
As I was standing recording the bluebird a mink came leaping through the brush.

I am also a sucker for resonant downy woodpecker drumming. This one also has a female bluebird calling in the background.

And now, for your viewing and listening pleasure, a singing song sparrow. He starts out at whisper-level but soon increases the volume. (There is a bit of wind noise, unfortunately). I've tagged a singing cardinal at the end.



No comments: