Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Costa Rica Day Three: Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort


Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, Tabacon Resort, Costa Rica

Tabacon is mostly about luxuriant relaxation but the resort maintains a lush tropical garden that attracts local songbirds and hummingbirds and the path to the hot springs spa is lined with fruit trees, particularly bananas. (This area is public, by the way, so even if you aren't staying at the resort you can park and check it out).

This is a great place to encounter chestnut-mandibled toucans. In the evening I watched as a pair sat high in a tree and alternated their VERY LOUD song. (Here's a taste of toucan song, though I wish I could have recorded the pair singing...)

During the morning they can be seen near the banana trees.

In fact, if you are lucky you might be able to catch one feeding at the banana tree. In the video below, I was super close but I knew it would probably fly away if I raised my camera to zoom in. Also in the video--a cooperative scaly-breasted hummingbird and a pair of crested guans in a tree just outside our room. I just missed filming a tree-top fight between the two of them!

No comments: