Saturday, September 18, 2010

Charles River Peninsula at summer's end


Kettle of unknown hawks, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA

A weird and slightly frustrating morning down at the CRP. It was crowded! A steady parade of dog walkers (most seemed friendly and appreciative of the property) and and someone fishing at every available river access point (some of whom were acting rather suspiciously). And knife to the heart of summer--the first bird I spot is a white-throated sparrow.

The adjacent Walker School property was host to a massive crow roost. I thought I knew this place--I've never seen anything like it here. I counted 50 flying off at one point. And up there in the sky, a kettle of hawks, noticed too late to have a chance of IDing.

The morning was salvaged by the discovery of wood ducks--seven or eight of them. I was able to get a few low light shots, undetected.



And what is this flower? This is the first year I've noticed them at the CRP. (There are larger ones in the swampy areas in Millennium Park). The buds seem to bloom one or two at a time. Lovely at close examination. [UPDATE: Moth Mullein, it seems.]


And finally, the yellow palm warblers have arrived (a couple of weeks early in my estimation). Let's see if I can get better photos than this.

No comments: