Saturday, August 21, 2010

Charles River Peninsula with a new camera


Ducks on a log, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA

A new camera, an up-grade from my little point and click to a larger, bulkier point and click (Canon SX20 IS). The little Canon, which has served me well, has started to have lens error problems, which will be fatal at some point (right now it can only be resurrected by smashing it on a hard surface). The new camera has a longer zoom (20x) and a viewfinder(!).

So now I can take pictures of far away orioles

kingfishers

Not that they are particularly good photos... Now I have the ability to take poor photos of flickers, blue herons and bluebirds from farther away!



I was happy to get a decent shot of the common yellowthroat below--in fact I was surprised it turned out to be a yellowthroat. It's taking me a little bit of time to get used to the viewfinder...


The problem with the viewfinder is that it is relatively low resolution, which makes it difficult to actually see what you're shooting. Especially if that thing is a hummingbird perched on a branch with foliage in the background. I may have to wean myself from AUTO mode--brightness in particular seems to change from moment for no particular reason.



As for the CRP, itself--a bounty of birds this morning, many singing sporadically--orchard and baltimore orioles, yellow-throated vireo, flickers, bluebirds, house finches, cedar waxwings, yellow warblers, titmice, house wrens, goldfinches, robins, catbirds, phoebes, kingbirds, but no red-winged blackbirds (!) and very few tree swallows.

No comments: