Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bluebirds and other birds


A short walk at the Charles River Peninsula this morning. No birds, no birds, no birds, and bam! a ton of birds. The bluebirds were the dominant group, though traveling along was a mixed flock of palms, pines, and yellow-rumps. The bluebirds were more "playful" than I've seen before--playing king of the bird house, e.g, (above). [As always, clicking on the photos helps, though I don't promise uniformly good photography]

This one is just being kind of goofy (below), complaining at its partially obscured colleague (or parent?)


The birds were so concentrated that a photo of a bluebird would accidentally catch other birds.
Bluebird plus flicker

Bluebird plus pine warbler


My favorite CRP moments have revolved around palm warblers, and I wait all summer to see them again. I was unable, though, to catch them out in the open (and it was rather overcast today). Here's a documentary shot. Hopefully I can get some better photos over the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Mattenylou said...

Amazing... I live in the same state, and have NEVER seen a bluebird... ever!

I've never heard anyone around town say they've seen one either... hmmmm.

Peter Oehlkers said...

I would have said the same thing two years ago. They are quite habitat specific so unless you're a farmer you usually have to go out of your way to find them. But once you find them once you can see them pretty regularly.