Saturday, April 4, 2009

Interesting things at the Charles River Peninsula


I spotted these geese on a quick stop by the CRP on Friday afternoon. Interesting markings on that goose on the left.

I came back today to get a better look. The goose of interest above is now on the far right. Note a touch of white on the back of left hand goose's head as well.

I'm no expert on geese plumage. I don't know if this is leucistic, molting, a snow goose hybrid, or something else.

Frankly, this goose does not look real healthy. Its call also sounded wrong--more like a caw than a honk.


Also of interest, a kestrel hanging out on a swallow box. (Spotted via binos from across the field, hence the poor photo). It was all puffed up due no doubt to the brisk, gusty weather. (I saw a red-tail today blown right off the top of a pine tree). It looked like it was waiting for a tree swallow to happen by. It'll be waiting a while, I thought, because the swallows haven't shown yet at the CRP this year. And then ten minutes later, I heard the bubbly swallow sound--there they were, flying up the river.




Finally, this goose has not moved from her nest for the past week. Might we be seeing goslings by Easter?

No comments: