Saturday, February 14, 2009

Success!


Well that was quick. Last post, I announced a new challenge--a decent common merganser photo. It's not that they are especially rare, rather that they are tough to get close to. Armed with a normal camera, my photos usually turn out like those below.

Two guys, one girl. I spotted them from a distance going around the river bend. I figured I'd catch up with them eventually if I didn't scare them off first.

And then, I couldn't believe my luck. They had stopped close to the canoe landing, offering a clear view, assuming I kept out of sight.

I arrived at the landing, lifted the camera, and caught them just as they swam into the clearing. They saw me and took off.

The photo could be crisper, I suppose, but it's the best I'm going to do this winter. Challenge complete!

No comments: