Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Barrow's!


The Great Backyard Bird Count for Massachusetts lists only 5 Barrow's Goldeneyes. I felt a bit sheepish when I saw that because I contributed 3 to that total. (I almost emailed the organizers--don't mind me, I'm just a newbie, making over-enthusiastic IDs from great distances...) And then during my morning walk by the Charles River, what do I see? Amidst the mallards and Canada geese, two little ducks floating by that looked suspiciously like...Barrow's Goldeneyes! I rushed along the river to get ahead of them, though I still had to take the photos through riverbank trees. But these are absolutely positive IDs--the female even has a yellow bill! Confidence restored.


By the way, oddest GBBC result--only 9 golden-crowned kinglets seen in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (one mine). They are much more common than that, at least in my town.

No comments: