Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A special guest joins old friends for a splendid afternoon at the Charles River Peninsula

IMG_4435
Charles River Peninsula, Needham, Ma
Leaves peaking. But I was in a gloomy work-related mood. I began my slow walk around the peninsula.
IMG_4423
Pileated Woodpecker, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
Mid-walk I heard a loud cry and I couldn't help smiling. A pileated. Same spot I'd seen it before, months ago.
IMG_4425
Pileated Woodpecker attracts attention
I wasn't the only one paying attention. On the near-by tree-tops, a group of bluebirds, a phoebe, and a palm warbler (?) seemed to be watching it carefully. When the woodpecker flew off, so did they.
IMG_4430
Eastern Bluebird, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
I caught up with our friends, the bluebirds, who were investigating a cavity in an old oak tree. Something seemed to be fascinating to them about it. Ample insects to eat? A future nesting spot? At any rate they kept returning to it over and over. See video below.
The day had turned splendid. Now I was ready to appreciate the foliage.
IMG_4436
Redwing Bay Parking Lot, Needham, MA

No comments: