Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cutler Ravens

Flooded Trail, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
A wonderful day to be out this morning, though it was bite-through-your clothes and fly-in-your nose buggy. I was glad I wore my muck boots.
Swamp sparrow, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
Swamp sparrows everywhere. And plenty of goldfinches and yellowthroats.
Common yellowthroat, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
But the ravens won the day.
Common Raven, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
I initially took its croak for a great blue heron and then I saw the giant black form flying from Pine Island over to the powerlines.  And then I saw another one.
Common Ravens, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
This wasn't a complete surprise. I've seen a raven flyover at Millennium Park, just across the river. But this was a first for me at Cutler itself. And they were perched.
Common Raven, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
One seemed to be the dominant bird. I suspect the other was a juvenile.
Common Raven, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
It was doing a little hop dance. Fly up a little and then right back down.
Common Raven, Cutler Park, Needham, MA
I will admit being a little insecure about crow vs. raven identifications. But look at the throat on that bird above. That's a fine set of hackles.

No comments: