Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sparrow Fight (with a twist)



One Bird-Lore trope is "baby birds in a line," which I've explored elsewhere. Another is the "hanged bird," which I'm not going to explore in-depth for reasons of good taste. If you want to know what I'm talking about here's a link to a rather gruesome image. (Mama Kinglet, please don't let your babies play around the burdock plant).

Not ever having seen a bird that's managed to hang itself, I was struck by the following scene, witnessed while I was pumping gas: a house sparrow battle in which the defender seems to be tangled in something (hanging by a leg) and his opponent is hanging onto him by his beak! Quite an amazing scene of acrobatics. As far as I could tell, the defender was eventually able to extract himself.

No comments: