Sunday, January 4, 2009

More New Eyes Stories (Coolidge Reservation)


Coolidge Reservation, a Trustees property in Manchester-By-The-Sea, offers many gorgeous ocean views, especially if you come with new eyes, as I did this afternoon. Distant yet clear views of cormorant islands and diving bufflehead families.

And here's another story about the difference a pair of binoculars makes. I glimpsed a pair of ducks on a rock right off shore.

I moved to get a better view and spotted another.

Picking up the binoculars I immediately see the obvious thing I missed--a black and white eider drake. This is an eider family.

I watch for a little while and I see some movement. Little pigeon like shapes. Could these be purple sandpipers?

They moved up the rock (giving me better views). Why did they move, you ask?

Because of our last hidden creature, a black duck, who came to rest a while with the eiders.

(Note: I managed to simulate my experience through crop and zoom. The important point is--I wouldn't have "seen" anything to photograph had it not been for the binoculars.)

No comments: