Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mid-winter life at the Charles River Peninsula



I put on my snow boots and trudged through the CRP this afternoon. About 8 inches on the ground on average--sometimes over a foot. I tried to walk around the perimeter, sometimes balancing on old ski tracks, sometimes even sliding across the icy crust. Not much active wildlife but lots of evidence of past activity.

For example, holes in the otherwise smooth crust, far from the tracks of dogs and snow walkers like me. Upon investigation, pretty clearly outlet holes for something with underground/snow tunnels (meadow mice, I assume).



This dirty trail went between the exposed swamp water and a burrow at the base of a dead tree.


And I'm guessing an otter did this.


Finally, bluebirds. I was able to get extremely close (in fact, they practically flew into me). Pure sweetness.

No comments: