Saturday, December 6, 2008

Neponset River


Dropped Lily off at a birthday party in a Norwood industrial park; I'd noticed on Google Maps that the location was close to the Neponset River. Walked through several warehouse parking lots and found an access road into the wetland. Sat by the river for a while, the lonely Mallard quacking away. Heard some noise in the brush, got the camera ready, and here comes bumbly.

Would have bumped right into me if I, a little paranoid about rabid raccoons, hadn't deliberately signaled my presence. Not rabid, it spun and swam across the river.

On into the wetland (deer droppings everywhere, though no ticks that I could find), I discovered sparrow land.

A host of juncos, white-throats, songs, incredibly raucous house sparrows, and sigh, an extroverted swamp sparrow, gratefully photographed.

No comments: