Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tree Sparrow with a white tail feather


Spotted at Great Meadows in Concord--this tree sparrow with one white tail feather. Looks like a junco when it's flying away.

Here's a reverse shot.


A little light in general, could be leucistic. Here's a relatively clean profile, and one with a darker companion for comparison.



Or it could be perfectly normal. Of course, I went straight to tree sparrow-junco hybrid (I've read that white-throated sparrows and juncos sometimes hook up), but I don't see any other strange markings that might suggest it. (Sorry for the poor photo quality. It was raining.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting. I led the Wednesday morning bird walk at GM on 11/12 and saw Tree Sparrows for the first time this year. Didn't notice one with white tail feathers. I'd like to put your picture on the Kiosk photo board.
Alan Bragg

Peter Oehlkers said...

I'd be honored to have it up. I wish the photo quality were a little better.