Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Marblehead Neck


Did a little actual "birding" at the tiny but surprisingly rich MassAudubon sanctuary in Marblehead on Monday afternoon. This little wooded property, surrounded by residences on all sides, is a critical migration area and I wasn't disappointed. Abundant black and white warblers (god bless your love of tree trunks), some blackpolls, and redstarts. Throw in a friendly brown creeper, a Wilson's Snipe I kept flushing accidentally, and a Carolina Wren insistent on running through his full playlist and I had, for me, a pretty good time. I brought my camera but only captured blurry bird fragments.

A better time photo-wise in Swampscott, near Red Rock. Mixed in with the herring gulls, some smudgies--which I assume are Bonapartes in fall dress.


No comments: