Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Giant Mushrooms at the Charles River Peninsula


I've been documenting putatively "giant" mushrooms that have appeared on my lawn this summer. I'm chagrined to say that those were not "giant" at all, merely "large." Because this morning in the woods at the CRP I found some that were dismayingly huge. The first one I spotted by the path among the wintergreen. I thought it was a large rock at first. I've tried to provide a sense of scale below.

And looking around, I immediately realized that this was only one of many giant mushrooms in the area (one of the smaller ones, actually). The real giant was truly enormous, flattened to around 10-12 inches in diameter.

I've seen fungi this size on the sides of trees and the like, but never free standing like this.

Also, sounds at the CRP (still dominated by the raging redtail) have moved from bird song to bird call--even the song sparrows are quiet, during mid-day anyway. Distinct calls, such as the towhee's "chewink," stand out, but the rest make me want to study the Birding by Ear CDs again. Finally, a nice glimpse at the local great blue heron across the river.

No comments: