Monday, August 18, 2008

Fowl Meadow (Blue Hills Reservation)


I got my grading done a little early today, so I decided to take a walk in an area I just discovered (though it is rather close and pretty obvious). I've long noticed a large wetland along the Neponset River east of Route 128. I picked up a Blue Hills map yesterday while Lily watched the otter at the Trailside Museum in Canton and sure enough, there is a trail system in that wetland with parking right off of Brush Hill Road.

The main trail is called "Burma Road" and it is a long straight grass and mud road that stretches all the way from Brush Hill Road to the highway. It is largely wooded, though it offers glimpses of marshland along the way. About 3/4 mile down the road, there is an intersection. If you take the right hand path (I didn't explore the left hand path), you'll eventually get to the banks of the Neponset and a much narrower and brushy path that runs about a mile along the river toward the highway.

It meets up at the end with the Burma Road. (Note: On the Blue Hills map there are a couple of paths in this area that I saw no signs of in reality).

'tis the season of hummingbirds (got a great look at a female ruby throat--no photo though--that perched on a branch about ten feet away before it buzzed away) and pewees (who taunt me by perching on branches that confuse my camera's auto focus). Also had an odd encounter with a group of wrens who were making catbird-like whines back and forth. I've read that carolinas do this, but these looked more like house wrens. Here's the blurry evidence.


And on the way out, to add to this season's buck and doe sightings, a fawn.

No comments: