Tuesday, January 2, 2024

More Laughing Brook thoughts



I remember Laughing Brook during the 1970s. I especially remember the gift shop, where my family apparently bought the postcard below.

Post card image of Old Mother West Wind
Mother West Wind and her taxidermy animal friends
Post card description
I don't remember meeting Mother West Wind. But I do remember that it was a shrine to Thornton W. Burgess filled with Harrison Cady-based animal images and caged animals labeled "Jimmy Skunk," "Peter Rabbit," etc. 

Aside from a single trail named "Burgess Trail" and some map copy, Thornton W. Burgess and his characters have been elided from Laughing Brook. 


I don't blame Mass Audubon for this. Fires, floods, and the decline of Burgess in the popular memory have made the property easier to manage as a regular wildlife sanctuary. 


And it doesn't take much imagination to reinsert his characters into the unusually large number of den-like cavities that abound on the property. 



1 comment:

jacklynn4 said...

Hello,

Is there a way to "follow" your blog so that I get a notification when you post? I visited the Seekonk Rookery yesterday, it was abuzz with nest building.

jackie