Tuesday, January 10, 2023

My Wild Adventure

 

White-tailed Deer
White-Tailed Deer, Charles River, Needham

Inspired by Noah Strycker's Birding Without Borders, I decided to be a little more adventurous this morning. Instead of my normal patch, I would visit a newly acquired but not fully public (gasp!) property just upstream of the Charles River Peninsula. 

Common crow
Common Crow

Approaching the river, I heard crow commotion and some raptorish sounds. A large black bird flew up to a nearby tree. A raven? No, a crow sentinel.

Bald eagle
Bald Eagle

I saw an enormous bird with a white tail and head over the water, soaring and then swooping down to the ice. By the time I got to a clearing it was gone. Second bald eagle in two days.  Maybe the third time I'll get a decent photo...

River otter
River Otter

I waited for a while. No luck. As I turned to leave--more crow commotion. This time it was "Caw, Caw!" "Kraaah!" I looked up to see a common raven harassed by a flock of crows. I was pondering the wildness of encountering an eagle and raven moments apart, I heard a "pop." I looked out and saw one, and then two otter heads poking up through the ice. 


I watched for a while as the one on the right finished its fish, leaning its elbows on the ice shelf. These otters have been spotted here before, so it wasn't a complete surprise. Nevertheless, along with the bobcat that has been detected in this area, a good sign of rewilding happening in my town. 



No comments: