Friday, September 1, 2017

Bluebirds! Season Seven. Series Finale.

Haying season. Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
They're mowing at the Charles River Peninsula right now. Summer is over.
Box 7. Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
One last check of the nesting boxes. Box 7 was the last unfledged box last time I made the rounds. What would I find when I opened it up?
Tree swallow nest. Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
Successful fledge. Nice thick nest for a tree swallow. You'll remember that it was house sparrows that added the foundation. Wild turkey feathers. I wonder about the place of turkeys in the feather economy.
Box 8. Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
Looks like I never clipped the bittersweet growing on Box 8. I'll take care of it when I come back clean the boxes. 

All in all, a productive year for tree swallows. But no bluebirds on my side of the field. Plans for next year are uncertain. 

Kingfisher rattling over the river. Young red-tailed hawk piping above. This is probably the last "Bluebirds!" season I'll report. There are new projects ahead.

No comments: