Friday, September 27, 2013

Early Autumn at Ridge Hill

Field View Trail, Ridge Hill Reservation, Needham, MA
Took my monthly Trail Steward tour through Ridge Hill this morning. Didn't feel like work. As soon as I got out of my car--chickadees! This time of year that can mean only one thing--warblers! And sure enough, in the cedars and hemlock, migrating pine, black & white, yellow-rump, Nashville, and even an early golden-crowned kinglet. A redstart along the fieldview trail. Another pocket of chickadee-led migrants along the Drumlin Trail added brown creeper and hermit thrush.

On my way out, I passed through waves of middle school students on their annual bio-blitz visit to the reservation. While I was happy to see them discovering life in the meadow, all I could think was--I hope their teachers will help them do a tick check.

No comments: