Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mice eviction fails to bring me joy


White-footed Mouse nest, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
A gorgeous fall day. Time to take care of unfinished business--removing the mouse nest from nesting box 7.


Mice really can't be allowed to take up residency in nesting boxes. They poop the place up and they can carry significant diseases.


I'd been putting this off for some time. I didn't want to evict any tiny dependent creatures. But surely the babies were mature by now. And it was better to evict them during the beautiful weather than later, when it would be harder for them to gather new nesting material.

White-footed Mice, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA
I wasn't quite prepared, though, for the abject terror.


I'd assumed that they would jump right out of the box to the grass below. One, in fact, did.


I certainly didn't expect them to climb up.

My reflection in a terrified mouse's eye.
As they weren't going to leave while I was standing there, I decided to go. As I turned, overhead flew a shrieking red-tailed hawk. Had it been watching me the whole time?

I think this post needs a bluebird chaser...
Eastern Bluebirds, Charles River Peninsula, Needham, MA



No comments: