Monday, June 16, 2008

Wood Thrush

Text not available
Handbook of Birds of Eastern North America By Frank Chapman
I've mentioned the hermit thrushes of Cutler previously [update: a mistaken id--they're all wood thrushes after all] (note: large gangs of mosquitoes have limited one's freedom to stand and listen, as I discovered when I was ambushed last night). But there is another thrush, one that I hadn't expected to discover given its preference for the deeper woods. You can hear it about halfway down the western path around the pond. It was singing quite loudly and I managed to record a full cycle of its repertoire (lots of weird buzzy notes in addition to its ethereal whistles). A curious aspect: there is a red-wing blackbird on the recording and its basic song pattern is very similar to, if less "refined" than, the song of the wood thrush. It made me wonder if there was some mutual influence between these two singers.

No comments: